Monday, March 12, 2018

Who is This Kid?

"C'mon, we can cut through the library," Tonya said as we followed her 11th graders to the computer lab.  As a Literacy Coach, I was visiting her classroom for a coaching session.  I also happen to be a former colleague of Tonya, and was visiting the district in which I not only taught middle school for 15 years, but graduated from.  I knew the path she was cutting -- it was through a faculty room and into the library, and would head off her class before they beat us to the lab.

We headed across the dark room to the opposite door into the library, and were met by a group of students gathered at the couches and chairs meant for readers and discussions.  I scanned the faces of my former students, and stopped at one.  It was my son.

"Hey!" I said over-enthusiastically.  "I think I know you from somewhere?"  John sat with his friends and I certainly didn't want to embarrass him, but most of the students knew me as John's mom and their middle school teacher.  John was not phased.

"Hey, Mom," he replied.  I ruffled his hair as I passed, starting up the stairs to the lab.  I kept one eye on John as I walked up the open staircase to where he sat on the couch below.  He'd forgotten me already, back to his discussion with his friends.  I couldn't remember a time when I had the opportunity to watch him from this angle; this setting.  Not as my son, but an eleventh grader sitting with his friends.  A student.  A young man who is smart and driven but also can be snarky and judgmental.  A young man I think the world of despite any so-called faults he might have. 

I felt so proud of him in that moment, and realized how lucky I am to see my child from this perspective.  How many parents get to watch their children in the place they spend more waking hours than they do their own home?  I was reminded then and there of my responsibility as an educator -- to treat each and every student as the lovable individuals they are.  Every one of my students is somebody's child.  Every one of my students deserves love despite any so-called faults.

4 comments:

  1. I like that you wrote in narrative form rather just your own reflections on the experience. It gives your perspective more context and, hence, a deeper understanding for me as the reader.. Connecting this very personal experience to our everyday lives as educators is very valuable. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had this opportunity. I have often wanted to observe my son at school. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice slice! The dialogue at the beginning brings your readers right along with you on that shortcut, and your ending continues that theme of inclusiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to have him at school. I bet he enjoys having you nearby too. He may not admit it though ;)

    ReplyDelete