Tuesday, March 13, 2018

All the world's an argument! Or, is it?

Sunday morning, still in pajamas, my boyfriend and I sat in our rocking chairs in front of our wood stove.  There was a soft glow from the flames of the crackling wood, the room cozy and warm while snowflakes gently fell outside in the early light of day.  The dog was cuddled in her bed, softly snoring, her nose poking out from under her blanket.  Someone coming to our door would look in on a picturesque, Rockwell-ish weekend morning.  And then the visitor might open the door, and find the opposite to be true.  Rather, heated debate between my boyfriend and I was in progress.

"Everything's an argument!" I proclaimed, my voice reaching a higher pitch than normal.
"How can you say that?" he answered.  "So, if there's a tree in the road and I say 'there's a tree in the road,' that's an argument?!"

The visitor walking in would probably slowly back out of the door, closing it gently to avoid the discussion, but in fact the debate has always been a favorite of ours:  is there such a thing as un-biased writing?  I say no, Mike says yes.

Really, I believe we are both right.  As an educator, I find it my responsibility to guide students in seeing the world with a critical and inquiring eye, but also know the purpose of the inquiry is to be as non-judgmental as possible.  In other words, assume that everything is an argument, but only to try to see as many sides as possible and to understand rather than judge.  To become un-biased.

Teaching "argument" has become an integral part of our consumer-producer society.  More than ever our students, as citizens, must learn to withhold judgment, even as information comes to them in droves, at lightning speed.  Even, and especially because, they can judge and spread their judgments just as quickly.

As our discussions over argument continue, I do try to practice what I preach.  I try to listen to Mike.  I practice considering his perspective before simply blurting my own opinions.  I practice keeping my mind open to the possibility that I'm not right, or at least that there are nuances to consider.   It's tougher than one would think, especially when emotions get involved.  Yet, I urge you to try it!  Intentionally practice the art of listening, of paraphrasing, of pausing, of withholding.  Consider what it might do in our classrooms and our world.   




1 comment:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one struggling with this right now. It can be really difficult to see someone else's perspective when you believe so strongly in your own.

    ReplyDelete